Friday, May 22, 2009

Doctors save boy who swallowed battery

Doctors in Yekaterinburg, Russia saved the life of a one-year-old boy whose gullet and trachea had been burnt by alkali from a swallowed battery.

The boy, named as Yegor, was hospitalized in the town of Krasnoturinsk (the Sverdlovsk region of Russia) on suspicion of pneumonia. Doctors tried their best to cut the temperature down, but the condition of the little one was worsening. On the third day, they radiographed him and gasped with surprise – a foreign body stuck in the gullet of the baby. It became known that the playful baby boy had swallowed a battery from a remote control unit.

The operation lasted for six hours. Surgeons disjoined the child’s trachea and gullet and sewed up the hole that the battery had burnt out. The boy was afterwards put into artificial sleep and connected to the respiration unit.

The little kid is fine now. The operation has been nominated as “The Operation of the Year”.

via: pravda

No comments:

Post a Comment

When reproducing our materials in whole or in part, hyperlink to the articles should be strictly made Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License. To advertise here contact